Saturday 24 October 2015

Pasar Besar Kedai Payang, Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia

Kuala Terengganu is a capital city of Terengganu, one of the countries in Malaysia. It is quite a busy city with a variety of races including Malay, Chinese and Indian but they are all Malaysians. They live in the harmonize environment, working as a one nation. I have been there quite a few times since my father was born there. Even though my grandfather and my grandmother on my father’s side were died very quite a long time decades ago, I still visit Kuala Terengganu if I got a chance to visit my siblings and my other relatives living there.



There are a few interesting places that I would rather recommend if you have a plan to visit Kuala Terengganu. The places located quite near to each other in which you could reach one another in less than half an hour if there is no traffic jam. My advice is try to avoid planning to visit Kuala Terengganu during festive seasons especially during Hari Raya Puasa (i.e. Eid Mubarak ) or during Chinese New Year. You may face traffic congestion at almost everywhere around Kuala Terengganu city. You might end up travelling for more than two hours for the places distance that should take less than half an hour during normal period.

Firstly, one of the famous place that you should go when visiting Kuala Terengganu is its big market locally called as ‘Pasar Besar Kedai  Payang’. It is located near Terengganu river (Sg Terengganu) and Warisan Island (Pulau Warisan). There are a lot of things available there. At Ground Floor, there are things such as pillows, blankets and cooking dishes located at the front end.  On the first floor, there are boutiques selling women clothes such as baju kurung, batik and silk. Also there are a choice of handmade craft products that can be purchased. It can be said as a place of  woman’s paradise and you can also buy a quite a lot of souvenirs, bringing home soon.



Songket is one of the must buy item when you come to Kuala Terengganu. It is a special piece of clothes traditionally wear by Malays during a special events such as weddings, celebration day and so on. The price is quite costly but  a worth to buy as compared to its quality and difficulty to get it from other places,


As my overall conclusion, Pasar Besar Kedai Payang is a best place for window shopping especially for women.  I shall continue to write more on other interesting places in Kuala Terengganu in my next posting.



No comments:

Post a Comment